Impressed by the continued England vs Pakistan cricket saga and a revival in sports activities diplomacy, the BHC Workers and former Chevening students swapped their every day routine for a limited-over and blended gender contest of bat and ball at Shalimar Margallah Floor, Islamabad. The Chevening crew batted first and set a goal of 135 runs to chase. The BHC crew chased down the goal and gained the match by 6 wickets.
Former Pakistani Check Captain Majid Khan, Inspector Normal Police, Islamabad Akbar Nasir Khan, Deputy Commissioner, Islamabad, Irfan Memon and Deputy Director Provincial Catastrophe Administration Authority, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Lubna Shahzaman together with distinguished journalists, civil society activists and civil servants watched the sport .
This yr to mark the 75 yr anniversary of UK-Pakistan relations, the UK is awarding 75 Chevening scholarships. While functions for 2023/2024 Chevening Scholarships at the moment are closed, functions for 2024/25 scholarships will open in August 2023 and will likely be marketed on the Chevening web site. All these trying to examine for a grasp’s diploma within the UK and who maintain an undergraduate diploma, are inspired to use, and particularly girls and people with disabilities. The UK’s efforts to extend inclusivity in all fields in Pakistan throughout the previous few years have efficiently raised the variety of girls profitable Chevening scholarships from 6% to 60%, with college students with disabilities additionally part of the cohort.
The British Deputy Excessive Commissioner, Andrew Dalgleish, mentioned the next:
It was an awesome assembly Chevening Alumni at immediately’s cricket match and seeing girls compete. Sport has a novel manner in bringing folks collectively and performs a serious function in progressing gender equality by opening up new alternatives and unlocking expertise.
Speaking concerning the Chevening Scholarships Andrew added:
Educated girls leaders are important to resolve the daunting financial, social and environmental challenges the world faces immediately. The UK’s efforts to extend gender inclusivity will encourage extra girls to use for Chevening Scholarships in future. I imagine the Chevening Alumni I’ve met immediately and people of the longer term, will play a significant function in reworking Pakistan’s future as leaders, opinion formers and policymakers.
Deputy Commissioner IRS, Federal Board of Income Farah Khan, whereas representing the Chevening Alumni Affiliation Pakistan mentioned:
From commerce to sports activities to training, UK-Pakistan dosti is stronger than ever. As a Chevening scholar and a profitable profession girl, I encourage all Pakistani girls to use subsequent yr and play their function in selling gender inclusivity, decreasing poverty and growing local weather resilience.
Notes to editors
- Chevening Scholarships are the UK Authorities’s international scholarship programme, funded by the Overseas, Commonwealth and Growth Workplace (FCDO), accomplice organisations, and accomplice universities. The scholarships assist examine at UK universities – principally one yr taught grasp’s levels – for people with demonstrable potential to grow to be future leaders, decision-makers, and opinion formers.
- Chevening started in 1983 and has developed right into a prestigious worldwide awards scheme. Chevening Students come from over 160 international locations and territories worldwide, and over the previous 5 years we have now awarded virtually 10,000 scholarships. There are over 50,000 Chevening Alumni all over the world who comprise an influential and extremely regarded international community.
- Pakistan is residence to 2000 Chevening and over 10,000 UK alumni.
- The UK is a robust proponent of ladies training and within the final three years, round 60% of the Chevening students have been girls, with in another way abled college students additionally part of the cohort.
- In 2018, the British Excessive Fee launched Chevening mentoring scheme which is an alumni-led initiative designed to assist girls and minorities. 80% of the beneficiaries had been girls whereas the opposite 20% had been spiritual minorities.
- Distinguished Chevening feminine alumni embrace: Amna Zamir Shah, the primary feminine decide in Gilgit-Baltistan Excessive Courtroom; Abia Akram, Chairperson Particular Expertise Trade Program (STEP); Fifi Haroon, a senior journalist; Yasmeen Rehman, former Member of the Nationwide Meeting; and Asiya Nasir and Nafeesa Shah who’re each former Members of the Nationwide Meeting of Pakistan.
For updates on the British Excessive Fee, please observe our social media channels:
British Excessive Fee
tel. 0300 500 5306